We need your help to defend the ban on nuclear power.
Since 1999 domestic nuclear power has been prohibited by Australian law. This ban has served us well and helped avoid the high cost, high risk nuclear sector. But right now, these sensible protections are under threat from a concerted push by Coalition politicians.
A group of Nationals and Liberals – including climate deniers and skeptics – are now championing nuclear power as a climate response.
In reality, promoting nuclear delays effective climate action. The challenges and opportunities around building a non-fossil energy future are pressing and real. We cannot afford to waste more time on culture wars and false solutions. Please add your voice to defend the nuclear ban.
A new Senate Inquiry looking at this push by Matt Canavan and others to get rid of the nuclear protections is taking comment until December 12.
We can’t let them get a foot in the door or it will become more than a distraction – it will become a diversion of resources, funding and focus.
Make a submission
To help defend the ban on nuclear power and keep Australia nuclear free here are some key points and helpful links highlighting why nuclear is no solution to the climate crisis.
- Nuclear is the most expensive energy option
- Nuclear is slow. It can take decades to build and would require a decade or more to develop the legislative framework
- Nuclear is dangerous. Either through human error, disaster, or as a military target the catastrophic consequences of a nuclear disaster would permanently pollute.
- Nuclear is unwanted. There is long standing popular opposition to nuclear power in Australia because of the issues above as well as the unsolved problem of nuclear waste and the link to nuclear weapons.
- Alternatives like renewables, storage and energy efficiency are faster, cheaper, more deployable and enjoy much more public support